Saturday, March 20, 2010

This is Spring?

Well, it's the first day of spring, I'm about to go to Louisville, and it's snowing.

As I look outside, I'm seeing that at least 6 inches of snow have fallen here in Independence, MO. You can see it on this picture of my garage, looking out the kitchen window.

And more is falling every single minute.

Oh, and it's not that nice, dry kind of snow. It's that get-your-feet-wet, soak-your-coat, and mess-up-your-day-in-general kind of snow.

I know I sound like I'm whining. But I kind of look at Louisville as my personal marker for when spring starts. And this is NOT spring weather. At least not any spring I want to experience.

Yeah, yeah, I know it's been a bad year. And yes, I'm well aware that snow can fall as late as April. Blah, blah, blah.

I'm tired of winter. I looked forward to it. I put up Christmas lights. I marveled at the beauty of the snow, and was wowed when just enough ice clung to the trees to make them pretty - without damaging them.

But I want to pull across the Ohio River, drive up to the beautiful downtown of theirs, and not see snow on that big baseball bat at the Louisville Slugger factory. I want forsythias (I'm not going all wuss on you; I just know that forsythias come out in the spring. So no giving me crap about knowing what a forsythia is. I helped my mother plant some. So what.).

The upside? I understand that Tuesday it'll be near 60 here. The snow will melt, and we'll hit the highways, heading down early to catch the press conferences and see what sorts of cool things the manufacturers have in store for all of you.

And with any luck, it'll be nice in Louisville - and I will get that first sign of spring once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment